What is Ransomware?
Ransomware is a type of Malware that entirely blocks or partially limits users from accessing their files whilst also demanding a ransom to be paid. Files are encrypted and payment of the ransom promises delivery of a decrypt key.
How did my system become infected?
There are various mean of infection, spam email attachments, compromised websites, malvertisments, exploit kits and worms are among the most popular.
How you can protect yourself from ransomware attacks
• Ensure your operating system is still supported by Microsoft (XP & Vista is no longer supported)
• Fully update your Windows operating systems
• Make sure you have regular and working backups
• Invest in ransomware protection
• Most importantly, educate your users to be vigilant
• Think twice before clicking
• Refrain from opening suspicious attachments
• Notice grammatical irregularities from recipients
Wondering if you should pay the ransom?
If you are wondering, Stop! Do not fuel e-crime.
Disconnect your computer from the network and warn your colleagues.
You are never guaranteed the decrypt code. Contact an IT service provider, there are alternative ways to retrieve your files.